Saturday 29 November 2014

Garmin Free Parkrun

From time to time it is probably a good idea to throw off the shackles of modern technology and just run to how you feel, not worrying about pace or time. Well today was one of those days but more because I wasn't sure where my Garmin is currently residing and I didn't have enough time to look before I left for Orpington Parkrun.

So with a slight cold, a naked wrist and the right amount of layers (lessons learned from Wednesday night) I lined up at the start with the other Saturday morning parkrunners ready to see what happened. It would appear that my pacing was pretty similar with or without the watch as I noticed the same runners around me as I had on previous visits to Orpington.

My cold took its toll just after half way round and I decided to walk for a short time whilst blowing my nose and spluttering along. I started to question if this was a good idea but I kept going and started to trot along again trying to make up some time. On the third and final lap I was just needing things to be over, I had no idea of time except a father and son combo who usually came in about 1-2 minutes ahead of me had already overtaken so I suspected I was heading for a little over 30 minutes.... a way off my PB but at least I am getting out on a semi regular basis if not every week.

At the finish I was delighted to grab a cuppa and a small piece of some very delicious bread pudding... yum diddle and made up for my lack of breakfast this morning!

My results text message came through later with a time of 31:30 and 3rd in my age category, okay still nowhere near a bronze in real terms but for now I will take it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment