Friday 10 February 2012

Donegal Marathon Training Camp

It's not how this little getaway was advertised but for one this relaxing Ireland mini break turned into a marathon training hell... thankfully it was not me that was in hell!
Staying on the edges of Lough Eske in the North West of Ireland in a friends holiday home this seemed to me like a prefect place to get my training back on track and luckily for me I was to have some company. Another friend on the trip managed to get a place in the London Marathon back in January after no success in the ballot draw, but up until now his training has been somewhat ad hoc and with no plan to guide him. I would soon put pay to that, or possibly put him off running for a while.
As we arrived, following a 15 hour long journey of cars and ferries the first thing I needed to do was to get my kit on stretch my legs. We opted for an out and back route around the lake (part way), totalling about 5 miles. The pacing was good, the terrain was hilly and a dog started to chase us for what felt like an age (not good on an out and back route).
The return journey was a little bit of a worry as each corner we turned we were sure the angry little dog would be waiting for us so he could once again begin his chase. By the time we passed his territory again we had scared some cows, had a chat to some sheep, struggled up lots of hills and I had successfully scared my friend concerning how many miles we would be doing over the next few days, the dog however was nowhere to be seen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment