Sunday 15 February 2015

Butterflies, Muddy Puddles and Runners Reunited



Today was a big day. I woke early and with a tummy full of butterflies. I had my kit laid out, my running belt filled with the essentials; tissues, lipsalve, keys, emergency fiver, phone and a mini bottle of water. My Garmin was charged, trainers by the front door, nothing else to do but wait.

Today I would be running with Jerry and Duncan, the first run in over a year thanks to my injury, lost fitness and lack of confidence combined. I was nervous but I needed to get back out there and let’s face it, I missed them both. Their monkey feet, their stories, their imagination, their inbuilt GPS, the lack of pressure when running with them and just running for the pure enjoyment of running. Why was I nervous then? Silly Liz!
As I stood in my porch waiting to see them appear I looked up and saw Duncan, a big wave and a smile and I knew we’d be fine. Jerry was at the end of the road tying up a rogue shoe lace. Duncan assured me none of us were at full fitness so I was not to worry. Jerry had a back problem (I know a bit about this) so we headed off tentatively towards Scadbury. Within minutes I think I had taken over all chat I think regaling the last year of stories and updates, whilst we have remained in contact via facebook there is nothing like putting the world to rights over the muddy trails. The miles were disappearing underfoot as we chatted away.

A half loop of Scadbury and we crossed over into Petts Wood and towards Hawkswood, bounding recklessly through the puddles that were skirted in the early stages on the run. A flying leap from the mischievous Duncan saw Jerry covered head to foot in muddy puddle. Still smiling Jerry detoured home and three became two. We continued onwards through the mud and trees, tipped our metaphorical hats at the dog walkers as we went. Running where we could and walking the tougher parts (mostly due to my lack of fitness). Then I bid farewell to Duncan for the final mile home, spotting some lost items on a fence post  which made me chuckle…. A car key amongst them, an item not allowed to be carried by Duncan… in fact this one was probably lost by him on some other run!

I reached home, muddy and happy, just shy of 7 miles…. In fact this demonstrated that it had been a challenge, as normally at 6.89 miles I would have kept going to round it up to 7 miles exactly.
A bit late for a resolution and I generally don’t do them but my aim is to get my running mojo back by running with the people who make running fun. Speed does not matter, getting out on the trails does, getting muddy does, laughing does, running with Jerry and Duncan always cheers me up so clear your diaries gents, I am back and we are running.   

1 comment:

  1. It was wonderful running with you and your accent again Liz, here's to many more miles ahead.

    ReplyDelete