Saturday 21 January 2012

Feeling grumpy? Run it off

There are days that are so long and draining that the only this you want to do is climb under the duvet, fully clothed, close your eyes and drop into oblivion. Thursday was a day like that.
I decided I was so exhausted that I couldn’t face the track training, I just didn’t think I could do it justice. I text my lift (thanks Mike R) and said to count me out… then about 10minutes later having changed my mind with a bit of text prompting as it would make me feel better.
I arrived at the track still a bit fed up, grumpy and with back ache… tonight’s session 5 x 1000m reps at approx 90 seconds faster pace than target marathon pace. Peter had kindly brought along pacing charts to help us identify our targets. We warmed up and I still felt zapped, in my head thinking, I’ll just do one or two reps, I can always drop back and take it easy, at least I made it out.
Well that didn’t last – like it ever does! Besides there was very little opportunity to drop off the pace with Mike and Peter at the big clock on the start line and Karen at the 200m point all shouting encouragement how could I give up, I couldn’t let them down when they are standing out in the cold for our own good, certainly not theirs.
A while in, Jerry appeared on the edge of track and then proceeded to flit from one runner to the next giving some good company as ever in little bursts. My pacing was good again with all my 1000m reps between 7:38 and 7:48 pace – perfectly acceptable with my back ache (and other excuses).
During my final 400m Rob B (running his cool down) stayed with me encouraging me round the last few hundred metres and whilst I wasn’t up for much chatting at that point it doe help having the encouragement especially when so many runners had finished all their laps.
By the time we were cooling down and stretching I was very pleased I made the effort to go and stuck it out for all the reps, I’m not sure I have completely run off the stresses of the day but I certainly felt better.

No comments:

Post a Comment