Friday 13 January 2012

Ever decreasing intervals

Week 3 of track training with PWR and led by Peter, deputised by Mike, after a 20 minute warm-up, the goal was to run 1200m, 1000m, 800m, 600m, 400m and 200m with a 200m recovery/rest between each effort. Crikey!
Before we started Peter produced some very organised laminated sheets with the training session outlined on one side and a pacing chart on the other. This level of organisation is very impressive to me!
So to find out goal pace for the intervals (which had to remain at the same level or increase speed but not get slower) we had to look for our marathon goal pace and take 2 minutes off this.... hmmm so if I am looking for a 4hr marathon time, then that means 9 min/miles which means my intervals should be at 7 min/mile - a likely story!
Dubious and realistic I decided that I would go for my 5k pace and if I was able to push a bit harder I would. It seems to me that the marathon pace is my goal for April, so this early in training I may not be able to hit those targets but after a few more weeks of track work I might. Mentally this sort of interval session seemed much more manageable that the 1mile reps of week one… so far 3 for 3 and still want more!

No comments:

Post a Comment