Sunday 15 January 2012

Was it Worth (Way) it?

It sure was! 
Staying with my Mum last night over in East Grinstead I had the option to wake up early and drive back for the PWR Sunday run or go it alone on the Worth Way... a pretty flat track that runs just over 7 miles into Crawley. 
This out and back flat path won the vote, not only because it is flat and very little planning was required but also as a nice change of scenery for my running. My goal today ws my long run and to keep to around 10min/miles.. this was not possible however, the flat route spoke to my legs and made them increase the pace a little to around 9:30min/miles give or take and would not let them reduce this. Whilst running I did think of Jerry cycling the track to practice his pacing and thought this would be a great place to practice race pacing in the future and while an out and back route is not as much fun as the roller-coaster of the downs, it would be more inspirational than circling the track for hours I think. Along the route there are a few sites to behold such as the old disused railway station and a mill pond and plenty of runners, dog walkers and cyclists all of whom are ready with a smile and a greeting.
I finished the run with the strength to continue and at a steady pace, textbook long run with a change of scenery thrown in as well. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Liz, the pace training on a long run is a very good way to get that much needed stamina in. Nothing better than new scenery either, it just makes the run that little bit more interesting on a cold day :-)

    ReplyDelete