Saturday 14 April 2012

Batteries not included

Several of my training runs have been completed with my near perfect pacing partner Emma G. Today was no exception and as the last of our long runs before London next week we were planning a nice 10 mile out and back route. On my drive over I came a possibly quite alarming tooting of my horn to Sarah S and Peter B as they ram up Summer Hill, they waved so I guess they recognised me frantically waving and beeping.
Arriving at Emma's and after a while waiting in the cold as she thought my knocks were her dog scurrying around we headed off on our merry way. We kept our pacing steady throughout with an aim of 9:30min/miles which we managed to hit bang on. As we started my Garmin was being a little tricky and suggesting I had low battery which was odd as it said it was fully charged yesterday. We kept going and every so often it flashed warnings at me. Then as it on queue at the 5 mile turning point it just switched itself off... how very annoying. Had I been by myself at this point I probably would have been very frustrated and struggled to keep myself motivated and well paced (shame how reliant I am now on my Garmin but god I love it like a child!).
Luckily being with Emma meant I didn't have to fret at all... we carried on trotting away and seeing many other runners out and about as we made our return. When we finished it seemed odd that it was only 9:30am as for the last few weeks out long runs would have kept us out to late morning but with the marathon only 1 week away this was no time to be excessively pounding the streets. As I was done early I took the opportunity to head down to our kit supplier and treat myself to a new Petts Wood Hoodie which I may be seen sporting next Sunday afternoon when the adrenaline wears off and and I start to cool down! 

No comments:

Post a Comment