Saturday 11 May 2013

Walking the Peaks... Will, Will, Willl, It's him I swear!

Some time ago I decided as part of the my training plan for the Mont Blanc Marathon I would head up to the Peak District and and get in some hill training. This plan has been slightly scuppered by my injury but walking would certainly be an option and still beneficial.

Day One would be a longer adventure with the ultimate fell walking guide, my Dad! who I am pretty sure you could drop anywhere in the hills of the Peaks or Lakes and he could give you a grid reference in seconds and without a map!

Along the journey we stopped at the Grindleford Cafe for a cuppa although not one of their fabled 'Pints of Tea'. Then later we passed a couple who had just got married having their photos taken, we wished them congratulations as we passed by.

We also passed a fellow walker with his dog, nodded our hello's then I realised I knew this man, it was Mr Legon, my old maths teacher and founder of Will4Adventure a fantasic company offering guided walks and treks amongst other outdoors activity. I shouted after him in the style of Alan Partidge calling out for Dan but alas he had headphones and did not hear. My Dad was dubious but I later confirmed it was indeed him... what are the chances!

What began as a 9 miler soon got extended to just over 12 miles and covering so many areas from my childhood it was fantastic. We even went to areas I don't recall ever visiting like the mule trail, a fantastic little path leading out from Padley Gorge.

Some hours later we finished up with a cuppa from the flask and headed home for some well dserved feet up time. My Lightweight Trail shoes held up really well and much better than hiking boots.





No comments:

Post a Comment