Monday 6 May 2013

May Day May Day... resist the Hog Roast!

What great weather for the bank holiday and what a great way we had chosen to spend it, a lovely bike ride along the Forest Way starting in East Grinstead. The route was not determined when we left as such in terms of distance just the place.

My mum and I set off immediately tackling a tough uphill - I was immediately concerned when I saw a sign for Woodbury as any Walking Dead fans will know this is not a good thing!

We arrived soon after at the start of the Forest Way where we to meet the third member of our cycling party and we were soon on our way.

Before long we have arrived at the point where a decision needed to be made, we have spotted a sign for a May Day Fair in Groombridge, we we to continue on for a slightly longer ride or not. After spotting cream teas, hog roasts and Maypole dancing on the poster the decision was made and off we went. 
The May Fair was an old school traditional style fair with crockery smashing, splat the rat & cream teas. It was really lovely and provided a welcome break to our wearly legs. We stayed around for a good hour and whilst the others enjoyed some cake I stuck to my diet plans (targeting getting to race weight) and just had a cuppa before the return journey.

About halfway back as we passed a group my mum loudly exclaimed 'wow it really sticks of garlic round here' perhaps not perfect timing as we have just past a man waiting for his family! But the statement was soon qualified to tell us about the wild garlic that grew along the route. It was decided we would add this to our dinner so I quickly took a snap shot incase a hospital was later required to identify by what I had been poisoned!

The journey back was tough as there is an ever so slight incline for the entire journey except the last 1/4 mile. A fantatastic day out in the sunshine and with the exception of my comedy sun burnt knees I will definately be out on the bike more this summer as part of my cross-training return to fitness.






No comments:

Post a Comment