Sunday 12 May 2013

Showboating on Win Hill

Staying with some of our oldest family firends in Bamford, at the Heart of the Peak District I awoke early despite the exertions on the hills yesterday,

I recruited one member of the family, David, to join me on my venture up Win Hill. He was keen to get out for a walk and explained there were several route options to the top some of which he had never tackled.
The options (1) drive to the car and take the easy walk, (2) the steep but not steepest route and (3) you guessed it the steep route. Option 1 was immediately ruled out and we ended up at the start point for option 2 first and upwards we went through the woods as the sun dappled the path. We powered up the path and before long the peak was in sight with the reminder of the route on an open windy moorland. As we approached I saw two fell runner heading towards me, I foud myself a little jealous wanting also to be running.

We reached the trig point at the same time and as the two runners quickly opened their packs and started to power through energy bars I asked them if they were in training. They said they were getting ready to tackle the Bob Graham Round but over two days as they were not completely bonkers!

I told them about Mont Blanc and also the 24hour Thunder Run so as to establish my status as a serious runner not just some chatty rambler. We bid each ther good luck in our endeavors and they were on their way again. By this time David had joined me on the top of Win Hill.

We descended on Option 3, and oh my was that tough, a very sheer rocky path back down the hill had the potential to punish the knees so I was glad not to try and run down as I am not a mountain goat by any stretch of the imagination. When we arrived back at the house both myself and David were ready for a cuppa and some rest.

I opted to hit the road for the drive home before tiredness struck, although less than an hour later it did. I stopped for a snack and a short nap as an elderly couple ate their sarnies in the car next to me. I woke and set off again but less than another hour and I was struggling. I caught a glimpse of my eyes in the rear view mirror and the motorway signs 'Don't Drive Tired' so heeded the warning, stopped, hopped in the back seat and 1 hour later I was awake again and a little confused!

Clearly it was needed and the remainder of the journey was much better and nap free.


 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment