Thursday 20 June 2013

Cottages & Farmhouses

Staying with my favourite aunty it is always necessary to arrive prepared to work... whether that be house work or workout you need to be prepared. In return you will get good advice, inspiration and some lovely home baking!

In the old days it was work in the most basic and manual sense such as tiling bathrooms, digging holes, helping with the lambing, painting a wall but these days after her inspirational rise to the heights of Team GB in the triathlon in Australia it is more set around an exercise of one of those disciplines. As this visit was to be an overnighter it looked as though we would be hitting 2 out of 3. 

We decided a bike ride was the top option for today and that as I am the weaker of the two of us as cyclists, be it with my hybrid bike and unconditioned legs we decided around 2 hours would be sufficient and that I could knock out about 12mph (quite slow for my favourite aunty but a push for me). The route was along lovely country roads, past farmhouses and cottages in the depths of Sussex, the route was undulating with longer, slower hills than I am used to and not having attended spin for about a month my legs could feel the build up of lactic acid as I pushed onwards and upwards. 

The halfway point gave me a little respite as I scoffed a cereal bar before continuing on our way. A useful tip before we started was to adjust the angle of my seat which by this time was paying dividends as I have no cycling discomfort which lasted throughout and following the ride. 

The final count was 22 miles and the pace a little faster than target but going upstairs to the shower my legs were slightly jellyish! This was soon rectified with fresh baked scones, clotted cream and jam, all washed down by a big mug of tea, perfect day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment