Friday 17 July 2020

Guess who's back, back again.... and running the #VR24

We've been here before, I go quiet for a long time. The last time I was dutifully silent and reappeared to tell everyone I'd decided to run the London Marathon rather than losing my place... oh and with zero
training unless you count a couple of 5ks and a 5 mile run 6 months before. 

This was in 2017 and I have been meaning to step up and start writing the blog again and this latest adventure would have been a perfect time but for some reason I haven't. Better late than never though and I want you all prepped for what I hope will be the story of an epic adventure this weekend! 

So by way of a super quick recap... my running has been back on track for a good year now. I have a new excellent running buddy in Sally - we are evenly paced, always encourage each other to get out and run; and have endless sources of chat so we never get bored (or silent!!). 

It took a while after I had my daughter for a number of reasons but I am well and truly back. So much so that last October when the entries opened for the Continental Thunder Run 24 Hour Trail running challenge I promptly signed myself up as a solo runner and started campaigning others to do the same (or in teams). My good friend and her husband (also a good friend) missed places as solo runners but were going to enter as a pair instead. It was easy to convince them.... we had all run our first marathons in the year of our 30ths so 10 years on what better excuse than reaching the 4th floor with another medal round our necks!

Alas, a rather inconvenient global pandemic put pay to many events this year (I won't dwell on this and I'm not being flippant but its all been said), and sadly this including the Thunder Run. I was gutted, the last time I ran it (and as a solo runner) was in 2013. I did 100km , 10 laps and it was the year of horrendous thunderstorms, rain, mud slides and the 'frog incident' (you'll need to read a previous blog for more on that one). 

But when cancellation was announced we were informed we could still run, it would be a virtual challenge (guidelines permitting) and we could still run for 24hours self supported on our own routes. Well why the hell not! My training planned was painstakingly added to my Garmin so I had daily reminders of what I should be doing and the advantage of being in lockdown is that I had very few social events and commutes getting in the way of my running. It was on! Kate and Paddy had been marathon training in the early part of the year and were up for the challenge too so it was more than on, it was on like Donkey Kong!

As time drew closer my distances were increasing and I was doing well, there were good runs, great runs, sweaty runs, runs that dragged, runs that flew by, many audiobooks listened to and runs where I got a bit grumpy but I have loved the journey. Restrictions have eased enough that the 3 of us can run together (rather than the initial plan of virtual support). Routes have been planned, flapjacks baked, kit is packed (way too much). Tomorrow we take on a self supported 24hour running challenge. 

Thank goodness a big part of this is about mental strength, there I have no worries, lets just hope our bodies can keep up with our minds! 





No comments:

Post a Comment