Friday 4 November 2011

Getting the cross back into training

Not sure where the week has gone... cannot believe it's Friday already. I have managed 2 swims, 2 treadmill runs, a bit of gym work and a body pump class between Tuesday and Thursday so I think today will be a day of rest. That and the fact that it has been raining for about the last 24hours at a ridiculous level and I don't fancy running in it after work.
Running on the treadmill is (as I have probably mentioned before) great for pacing or intervals but using for a hilly workout was pretty tough. In normal conditions when running up a hill you would naturally slow your pace a little as you go up but on the treadmill the pace remains the same - pretty tough! Still I gave it a good go and got through the session doing my warm up on the cross trainer and cool down a 10km cycle on the exercise bikes. Just trying to shake things up a bit, as marathon season is fast approaching I have remembered how much my speed and endurance benefitted from cross training last year so I am making a conscious effort to keep up with these activities.
So far I am managing 2-3 swims per week, mostly doing about 1km in breast stroke. Throwing in the odd length of my questionable front crawl. The next step is to reintroduce regular classes, at the moment I am trying to get Body pump back into my routine and then when that’s settled I intend to go back to pump.
On top of that I am hoping to get my mileage to average about 25 miles per week as I reach Christmas to put me in good stead for the increased mileage that a Spring marathon requires. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment