Sunday 13 November 2011

Swanley XC Race (5 Miles)

With an 11am start and a race so local an early morning was not required (except to be up and eat my porridge 3 hours pre-race). I was collected by John and Hannah and we set off to Swanley ready to run in the latest PWR grand prix event. I was expecting a pretty tough and muddy race today and following the track session yesterday it was anybody's guess as to how my legs might behave themselves. I had sort of given myself the target of 9min/miles for the course knowing that it would be tough and ultimately I wasn't far off (well a minute under). 
The race started after a 2minute silence for Remembrance Sunday and it was immediately tough with a quickly narrowing route and a huge number of runners still clustered together. After the first lap the field had thinned somewhat but this seemed to make little difference as we entered the woods and a single file trail, my pace soon dropped to over 11min/miles as the runners jammed up and no space for overtaking. I took the opportunity to catch my breath and prepare for the next opening when I could step it up. Before long we were out into open ground again and I was able to pick up my pace. Despite the course feeling tough I tried to concentrate on breathing out and pumping my arms as we had been practising yesterday at the track. It started to work and managed to pass a few runners, gradually increasing my speed again. It was great to see support around the course and as there were a few double backs I spotted several other PWRs and tried to shout encouragement as they did to me too. The second lap through the woods the field had thinned sufficiently that I could maintain a decent pace and emerged pretty shot with a little over a mile to go still. breathe out, pump arms, breathe out, pump arms I continued and then I could see the finish, I wasn't sure how close anyone was behind me but they wouldn't pass me now. I dug deep for the sprint finish, made it over the line and promptly started to heave, it was done, and so was I.
I didn't have much time to chat with the other PWRs as I had to shoot off pretty sharpish but glad I went along and great to have so many familiar faces and support around the course and running - feels good to be part of the club. 

No comments:

Post a Comment