Monday 7 November 2011

8 mile

Yesterday morning I sort of realised that whilst I have been doing regular long runs they have been of a different sort which has meant a bit of stop starting and not so much of a continuous long run. So I decided to go for a nice 8 miler and lose myself into a bit of distance running, long enough for a long run but not too long if I struggled and struggled I did.
Less than a mile in and my legs felt like they had syrup running through the veins it was tough going and my route included a long slog uphill from just over 1 mile to 3 miles into the run. I decided to change my route slightly to try and inspire myself and my legs from stopping, still on an incline but just a different route I hadn't run before. I made it to the top of the hill and with only a momentary walk break as I slowed to cross a road I managed to keep going for the full 8 miles. When I returned home I saw that my pace was pretty good for a long run but it had felt tough. It's strange how a sometimes a pace can feel so natural and another day it feels so much slower and more painful but looking at the numbers it could be exactly the same.
Today I woke with aching calves and to be honest I was more than a little disappointed with myself. This run shouldn’t have beaten me but I feel as though it might have done as I certainly didn't feel satisfied when I had finished.

1 comment:

  1. As you know Liz, there are good runs and there are bad runs. There are more bad runs but when the good ones come it makes it all the worth. Well done for sticking to it

    ReplyDelete