Monday 16 July 2012

Treadmill torture

Fear has struck, the Thunder Run is less than two weeks away and I have not run for 3 days... my back has been in such ridiculous pain I haven't known what to do with myself. But a combination of hot/cold compresses and enforced rest seems to have eased the pain.
The plan therefore was to try and run again today, but to hit the gym and stick to the treadmill instead so that should the pain return or my back give me any gip I could just press stop and retire defeated!

I started running, it was incredibly hot, I choose my treadmill poorly as I wasn't near any air vents. To my left a lady walk/running and to my right another lady who seemed to be keeping a good pace and going for a 5km run. I set the workout for hills at a middle difficulty rating of 10 (this soon dropped!) and my pace something that seemed sustainable for a hilly workout.

Overlooking the pool I tried not to watch the details too much and instead observe the swimming lessons taking place, I was most impressed when the students had to balance a beaker on their forehead whilst doing back stroke!

Soon the lady to my left departed and to my right left and was replaced with a very slow walker playing solitaire on the treadmill screen as I sweated and huffed and puffed next to her. My body temp must be dangerously high by now and I'm sure I could have friend an egg on my skin! Soon enough I had completed 10km of treadmill hills - killer!

I broke for refreshment, water and lucozade then back to the treadmill, selecting more carefully this time and changing the view to the gymnastics taking place in the sports hall. This time I stuck to a fairly flat run and pumped out another 5km. That was enough. I was hot, my clothes were soaked but at least I had finally got a bit of distance in my legs and my back seemed not to be rebelling so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment