Friday 20 July 2012

Unfamiliar boomerang

We were on route to a wedding and it seemed a sensible idea to break the journey up and get some quality friend time by stopping off and staying overnight with some pals in Nottingham. A massive advantage to this, in addition to the fantastic home-made lasagne and rhubarb crumble is that my good friend Kate is also a runner! I had sent text a few minutes away advising her to choose between putting the kettle on or her kit.... we arriving and the rain was lashing down, shortly afterwards her husband arrived back having cycled home and look like he has been washed up on the beach after a pretty terrible storm which seemed to have turned his shorts back to front! We opted for the kettle and thought we would run the next morning.
The plan was simple, I would run with Kate to work and then return to start to get ready for the wedding. Kate forewarned me that running with a backpack makes her running style a little odd - she was not wrong, her arms seem to poke outwards like some meathead at the gym who is all roided up! Along the route Kate was quick to point out any tricky areas where I might get lost or miss the turning on the way back luckily we have some good landmarks like the start of the Nottingham Half, the Games Workshop head office, a church a big red cow to name a few. We arrived at Kate's swish workplace after 3.5 miles where I had a quick nosey around... very swish and she even has her picture on the wall now! We were offered complimentary fruit, I declined and headed back out the door to retrace my steps. I made it back without a wrong turn and forcing the commuters of Nottingham to say hello to me as I trotted cheerfully along wishing them good morning!
If only Kate and I lived closer, very pleasant commute that would be each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment