Saturday 13 July 2013

One Foot, 2 Feet... all the way to London!

So by now (2 weeks post Mont Blanc) my legs are recovering well as I more into the last bit of preparation for the Thunder Run 24hour event. I'd been feeling good and ready to get in a decent distance so I called upon the ever reliable and route savvy Jerry. Knowing this was penned to be the hottest weekend of the year thus far a 7am meet was determined and we were to run from Petts Wood to London Bridge and catch the train home. A route that Jerry has done many times in reverse and one I have never tackled in either direction.

We caught up on what we had both been up to and the n the usual running jibber jabber that makes the miles seem to disappear unnoticed. For once I was able to give Jerry a little of my local knowledge, this did only extend to showing him the church where I married and the church hall where I used to attend Slimming World. We contemplated the change in me from fat Fighter to street pounder and runner of marathons. Who'd have thought it!

Soon enough we were crossed Blackheath and heading towards Greenwich Park. Stopping briefly at the observatory we had some good photos ops before heading down the hill into Greenwich itself and to join the Thames path. The morning was quiet, unusually so but as we reached the Thames Path we spotted numerous weekend warriors, donning their lycra and getting in an early Saturday morning run. As time ticked by the sun started to get hotter (as is to be expected), taking shelter in the shaded areas when we could we kept up a decent pace - with the exception of my photo stops!

 
 Another such opportunity arose as I saw the shard in the distance and thought it would be a good idea to make myself into a shard topped garden knome.... you can get the idea!
Shard Hat (sort of)

Seeing the many anchors along the path and then many many cannons, Jerry told me of how bollards were actually created from disused cannons and hence the shape. They are now of course cast for the purpose but I challenge you to not see an upright cannon next time you pass a bollard!

At around 14 miles we had reached our destination, Starbucks! So very good and my trainer would be proud, I had an iced green tea before we made our way - after impressing the other customers with how far we had run - to London Bridge station for the journey home. 


Before heading home I was invited to meet Maisy, the latest edition to Jerry's family, a very sweet little kitten who is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to running advice. 

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Liz, love the pics, erm, I am just wondering now about how Jerry got both feet up against the sign! that in itself would be a great picture lol :-)

    ReplyDelete