Saturday 21 March 2015

Almost the Whole Experience

I may have mentioned the foolish mistake I made by entering a triathlon, these things seem like such a good idea when a long way away or a day away but not so much on the in-between. We were staying with friends and a bike ride was on the agenda, it would be mostly off road on a canal path and at an enjoyable pace… we were not racing!

But having taken into account the relaxed nature of the ride and the pending triathlon I need to test out my bike to run transition. The first section of the bike ride (pre lunch) was 10 miles at a comfortable pace, chatting and enjoying the Wiltshire scenery.
A tasty lunch and we headed back onto the path for the remaining 5 miles back to the car. We stuck together for the first 2 miles then I upped the pace with hubby for the final few miles to make sure my legs were a bit more tired and felt more like they might in the race. We reached the car; I jumped off my bike, threw off my helmet and jacket, then set off back along the canal path.
My plan had been just a five minute hard run. I started running on wobbly legs which took about 2 minutes before they felt normal. I decided I would keep going and do 1 mile rather than the 5 mins as I had some time. I made it back to the car feeling comfortable (and confident I could do more) in 9 minutes.
I am started to feel like it’s a lot more doable and still three weeks away I need to practise my transitions and brick sessions a little more over the next 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment