Friday 27 March 2015

Tryathon Trial Run

The most worrying and incomprehensible thing to me about a triathlon is to get on a bike whilst wet. and not only wet but in padded cycling shorts... essentially a wet sponge between your legs. Why, why would people do this?
 
So this morning, I decided to do this very thing. My own mini trial triathlon in the gym to see how it all goes. I departed my house, ready in my tri-suit, I went via the spin studio to set up a bike then headed to the pool. 10 minutes swimming (hopefully at race pace) and I found the tri-suit strangely comfortable. As I exited the pool this is the part that would be weird... I went into the changing room where I had set up my trainers and towel in the locker. A quick towel down, t-shirt over the top, socks and trainers in then I trotted through to the spin studio.
 
20 minutes on the bike seemed reasonable at a tough pace to make sure my legs were worked hard enough before hitting the treadmill. The padded wet bottom scenario was not quite as bad as I thought but I was not a big fan of the weird wet yet dry feeling behind my knees. I'm sure this can be countered with a bit of baby oil on the day but a weird place to be in discomfort.
 
Next up, I was off the bike and a quick sprint up the stairs to the main gym and the treadmill, I set the pace a reasonable 11kph and ran for 10 minutes. As last time my bike to run begins with jelly legs but this soon wears off and hit my pace.
 
I finished and was still not as dry as I would have liked and perhaps driving home sitting on a small plastic bag wasn't the best idea as my car seat was a little damp for the rest of the day. All in all though I have a little more confidence with the transitions than I did before. Two weeks to go.... eeek.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment