Saturday 9 June 2012

#juneathon Day 9: Scrambled Legs

Today's juneathon exercise of choice was a bike ride, straight out the front door and see where my wheels and sense of direction took me... luckily the vague plan was based around a 16 mile taking in Crockenhill and perhaps Lullingstone at some point which more or less happened and include Chelsfield Village as well, taking in many hills on the way (only one where I had to de-bike and push... it was steeeeeep!).
Something I have learned since riding a bike more frequently is that I seem always to introduce at least 5 new bruises with every ride making my legs reminiscent of those of a young child after a summer of 'playing out' - not something that younger readers may be familiar with as much of their youth is spent 'playing computers' and collecting asbo's apparently. As a small child though these multiple bruises and scrapes just demonstrated your worry-free and somewhat kamikaze attitude to childhood games, climbing trees and walls, running with carefree abandon arms flailing in the air, paddling as hard as your legs could take you as we had no gears on our early bikes! 
Oh those were the days! they were also the days that bruised legs didn't matter, or in fact they mattered only to show-off as to who had the biggest and most dangerous looking bruise and the tale that accompanied it. These days however, bruises matter. I have 3 weddings coming during the summer and with my mottled black, blue, purple and green shins I may have to re-think some of my frocks and go with a maxi dress to hide these unsightly welts!
By the time of my return I had completed around 17.5 miles and my shins were smarting where I had smashed into my pedal (don't ask) although my rather awesome long socks with shorts combo had protected the skin from breaking. I treated myself to a big plate of scrambled eggs on toast and two cups of tea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment