Wednesday 13 June 2012

#juneathon Day 13: Swim Style

The weather was so lovely this morning I nearly changed my planned swim to a run... but I did not in the end but spent my rather relaxed swim assessing the multitude of swim styles.


The swims I have observed in the pool are as follows:

  • Rogue Leg - she can be spotted by the silver swimming cap and I may have mentioned her before. one leg and both her arms behave as they should, the other legs flys out of the water at peculiar angles threatening to destroy any that cross its path. It has a will of its own.
  • Spaghetti Arms - it is self explanatory and needless to say he does not swim in a straight line. 
  • Karate Chop - quit scary and a a lady I avoid at all costs. She is oblivious to other pool users and chops the water with a flat hand and arm creating as much resistance as possible and therefore producing little speed and a lot of splash. It wouldn't surprise me if her arms were red raw afterwards.
  • Flap and smack back stroke - this lady does a weird twisty flip with her arms as she raises in over her head and smashes in back into the water. I looks painful and despite the effort and aggression she never seems to go very far. 
  • Glider - fast and smooth like an arrow through the water, seemingly getting faster with every visit.
  • Grasper - an almost doggy paddle style swim from this elderly lady but with a front crawl influence and hands grasping at the water like claws. It is not a good look.
  • Upright chatter - too many of these to count, They do not swim but swim almost vertically at a very slow speed so they can chatter to one another for the duration before getting out and congratulating themselves on their hard work! 
  • Stan - last but not least a shout out to the man nearing the century, every morning without fail and always with a swim cap. His speed is almost imperceptible but he is nearly a hundred years old and always with a smile!
This covers just a few but invariably I am inclined to stop some swimmers in their tracks and advise them on the inefficiency of their stroke. I am guessing it would not be appreciated so I saved my assessment for my loyal blog readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment