Wednesday 8 August 2012

Do you have the time?

After a few bad nights sleep and failing to stay out with the club last night after the beginners group I woke up feeling a little more inspired than usual to get out early and have a nice easy run. I got into my kit, swigged some squash and headed out the front door into the damp morning air. At first my legs felt heavy and tired, mile 2 and 3 were pretty much a long upward slog but after that as the route flattened out my pace retruned to normal and I was happily trotting along. I had planned to run a 4 miler but as I approached the alley that would deliver me home I detoured last minute to add another mile to the route. Oh I was I glad I did.... as I turned onto the last road a mere half mile away from home I was approaching a bus stop. At the bus stop a lady who looked to be building up to something. Also in attendance was another pedestrian - walking. She clearly eyed the none too discreet Garmin Forerunner 305 on my wrist and decided I would be the prefect person to try and stop and ask the time as she lunged forward from the bus shelters moulded plastic seating. Seriously was that woman having a laugh... did I not look busy? and probably pretty serious and sweaty? Lucky for her I had the time of day showing on my garmin and hollered back at her 7:20..... it was in fact 7:22 but I had already past and left her in my wake.
It begged the question... is that appropriate conduct. Even as a non-runner which I assume she was it couldn't hae seemed right to interupt my running to ask the time. It wasn't going to make the bus come any quicker. You wouldn't catch a timekeeper shouting to Mo Frah as he runs past, "ooooh have you got the time". Okay so I am not Mo but the principle stands..... It's just not right!

No comments:

Post a Comment