Saturday 1 December 2012

Practise what you preach

I had been coughing now for a couple of days, my head was foggy and my chest ached, but I had arranged a lovely early morning run which started as Me and Eleanor, then came Jerry, Emma G and Karien. I woke to a frosty morning and not feeling great but hating to let the others down I donned my kit and headed to our meeting place. I was determined to run and felt that if I couldn't make the full run I could always do an out and back.

We headed off down Leesons Hill - in Jerry's immediate running excitement taking the wrong road immediately - we were soon back on track and heading up a road I had never before run. After a mere 2 miles I was coughing my way up a hill but thought it would clear soon enough, my legs and stamina were fine if only this blasted cough would leave me be. 

Another mile further on we reached a scabby old corrugated iron gate that was hanging off its hinges  Jerry named this Liz's Gate -charming!

Onwards and upwards we went, through fields, over railways bridges and deep in the countryside before popping out in Crockenhill at which point I declared I was heading back home. We reached a white post and Jerry explained to us all about how these were Coal Tax posts and they were situated across the valley, we thought maybe that would be a good goal to find them all and provide a very interested route for a run... maybe not one for today though. 

After a momentary discussion and Jerry saying he'd take it easy I was easily swayed into continuing. As we entered a filed rutted and frozen solid I knew it had been a mistake, then as we circled it again I was sure... I need to be home but another 7 miles lay ahead of me. Oh dear, we continued on but by now my coughing was ridiculous and Eleanor had hurt her knee negotiating the frozen ground. 
By the time we were nearly homeward bound I had the brainwave to head to the burger van in the Homebase car park for a bacon butty and a cup of tea.... it was the only good idea I had had this morning. We ate them and started towards home being passed by a surprised looking observer in a car - I suspect he may be from the club and wondered why so much lycra for bacon butty's! The final mile was a slow plod fuelled by bacon and tea.

So to summarise when you feel ill, take the rest day, take the bacon butty but do not go running for the best part of 14 miles. Thanks for looking after me guys!






No comments:

Post a Comment