Thursday 29 March 2012

My marathon time according to Yasso

It's Thursday night and regular readers of my blog knows what that means, its track time and this session promises to be able to predict my marathon time! We shall see about that in just over 3 weeks time I guess...
So according to Bart Yasso there is a sure-fire way to predict your marathon time, to check out the theory not in my words have a look here!
In summary the session consists of 8 x 800m and the average time to run the 800m's in minutes/seconds is a good predictor of what you are capable of in a marathon in hours/minutes. Clear as mud? Then I shall continue - although I am sure there is a lot more too it and must be part of marathon training, wouldn't work for average sedentary 'man on the street'!
So going for a 4hour marathon I needed to run my 800m reps in approx 4mins, translating to 8min/mile pace. I set off and I was a little quicker but fairly comfortable for the first 3-4 reps. My legs started to feel the burn during the 5th rep but soon subsided again, I considered dropping out after the 6th but after seeing my rep splits were still good and fairly consistent I kept going.
Overall my average rep was 3min49seconds so maybe a sub-4 marathon isn't out of the question, fingers crossed for a cool, dry day on the 22nd April!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment