Sunday 4 March 2012

Ran Solo

I said, Ran Solo not Han Solo!
Sadly this mornings plan to run with Emma G was foiled by a nasty bug she has picked up. On receiving this news I had a few decisions to make, as I had not planned the route did I get to planning my own, did I lurk around for another hour and then meet up with the Sunday running groups... hmmm neither of those sounded much like something I wanted to do. So I got my kit and drinks sorted, filling 5 bottles in my trusty utility belt and hit the road for my long run with no real plan other than to run for about 18 miles give or take. 
Despite the constant drizzle that was to plague me for the best part of the next 3 hours, my rain jacket only lasted around 2 miles before I was too hot and bothered and needed to drop a layer. With my music on, blaring only in the left ear as the right headphone stopped working some time ago, I pounded the streets taking random turns down roads and paths on this unplanned route. I spotted lots of runners in groups and solo like me this morning and my thoughts drifted to my friend Jerry, who this weekend was running the Thames Path 100mile ultra marathon, I wondered if he was finished and how he was holding up... is that really something I want to do someday? An ultra, I'd like to say no but I said the same about marathons and in fact half marathons and probably even 10km's in my early days of running. 
The miles ticked by with my mind drifting between the thoughts working themselves out in my head, the words of the music and my surroundings. Although a shame not to have company the occasional long run by myself is more than tolerable as I trot along with only myself to worry about. 
This morning other runners were smiley, some days you barely get a grunt of acknowledgement but today all runners were happy and shouting good morning and were out in force, I can only assume that these people are like me in training, maybe for the Marathon but who knows, it was just nice to see friendly faces especially when running solo. 



No comments:

Post a Comment