Saturday 20 August 2011

Full of pride... and not over 45!

Collected by John Gurney at 9am I was all over the place this morning, first |I couldn't find my sunglasses (which never did turn up), then I jumped in the car forgetting my essentials... banana and powerade for pre-race fuel. Maybe I was thrown by the a race being on a Saturday?
After a few more PWR pick-ups (Dave - chief supporter, Murat and Hannah we headed towards the Blackwall tunnel and the race.
More PWRs arrived, some in rather fetching pink tutus and more of the committee to support - as a spectator this event is great as the runners do 3 laps of the park so easy to spot runners.
I started the race in a strange sort of mood - without my glasses - and not really knowing what I would do. I didn't have it in mind to do a PB despite knowing this is a fast course I just didn't quite think I had it in me... but I decided I would just set off and see what I had in me. The first 2 miles sailed by at a good pace, by the time I reached the water station on lap two my mouth was bone dry and I was feeling the heat, needles to say half the water ended up over my head. Richard and Anne were still cheering us on and I had not spotted a single PWR since the starter pistol went. Rounding the corner to start my final lap I say Sarah Stonnard and her pink tutu ahead of me and this pushed me to keep going although I was starting to feel a bit sick and my powerade was repeating on me somewhat. Not sure if Mike Reeves managed to catch the overtake on his recording but I was pretty impressed with myself!
Looking at my faithful garmin I could see that my pace was slowing but I could actually do this, I was going to get a PB if I could just keep it going for the last km. It was no sprint finish although I mustered what I could and crossed the line with a chip time of 49:45 (a pb by 30 seconds and the best by about 3 mins this year alone).
As the volunteer tried to pass me my medal I tried not to vomit on her hand, you know you have worked hard when you want to chuck up after a race!
We decided to stay for the prizes and after much waiting and many guest speakers they called the Ladies 45+ category and it was our very own Karen Barritt (well done!) but she had left so I wnet up to collect her prize for her... I was quite perturbed at what followed:
Presenter: Oh there's no Karen here, can someone take her prize?
(I walk up)
Presenter: Oh look here Karen is now...
Me: Hold on, are you saying I look over 45? I'm offended
Huge crowd begin laughing at me!
to summarise: feeling fantastic with my new PB, feeling like I should get botox as I look over 45 now! 





2 comments:

  1. Well done Liz. A PB and an insult!! Just what you need on a Saturday, loving the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on getting the PB Liz I saw the video on You Tube and you looked very comfortable.

    BTW You don't look a day over 40 ;-)

    ReplyDelete