Sunday 14 August 2011

Note to the TR24 Womens Running Team 2011

Written the morning following the TR24:


I am still buzzing from the weekend, in fact I haven't stopped talking about it to anyone and everyone who will listen! My legs are okay but my back is a little sore - maybe the camp bed!
 
As desperate as I was for that 4th and final lap I was feeling the pain early on, the heat was pounding down on me and I could feel myself flagging. As I reached the halfway point and the water station I soaked myself, drank my fill and told myself to man-up... I can do this! Setting off again I proceeded to chatter away to myself looking at my watch every few moments and doing rudamentery maths to see if I could still make it back before 12, determined not to let the team down. As the heat continued to zap my energy I knew I had to do it... not to beat the men running team, that opportunity was long gone.... but for me and for the ladies! As I rounded the corner at 11:59 - James Bond style, by the skin of my teeth - I couldn't tell if it was excitement or disappointment from Marnie who now had to run a final lap (and in a great time too!). 
 
Marnie - I agree completely, we looked fab in our team wear, really made me feel part of something special. 
 
The weekend was the most random, surprising, enjoyable adventure I have had in such a long time. I think now I will do more spur of the moment challenges again but as for the TR24 next year I will be in it if I can book a team but I will be training hard! 
 
Maybe we'll see each other next July for round 2!




No comments:

Post a Comment