Saturday 22 October 2011

Racing to the start line

Bromley Parkrun #111
I awoke early (arm still hurting) and turned over for a short snooze, little did I realise that I had pressed stop and not snooze. I woke again at 8.30am and immediately jumped into action - I would normally be getting in the car at this time to go to parkrun. I dressed, fed the cats, brushed my teeth and downed a slimfast before running to the car - nearly forgetting my house keys in the process.
Disaster, the windscreen was covered in frost... back out again and gave it a quick scrape, time now at 8.46am, should I pack it in and just run locally. Spilt second decision made, I leapt back in and hot footed it down to Norman Park. dashboard clock said 8.59am as I pulled up. Parking pretty badly I made a dash to the start line (and noticed two late comers sauntering up the path with no sense of urgency - pah!). I got to the start line as Martin started his announcements and then started us off. I made it!
It was a beautiful October morning. Johnny Gill was pacing for a 25 minute finish so I decided to try and stick with him, about half way around I crept ahead - but only because mentally I find it easier to keep pushing if I feel I am being chased than to chase someone down. Not a great strategy but it keeps me moving. In the home straight, Johnny and his squad started sprinted and I couldn't keep it up, I did manage a sprint finish but came in about 5 seconds behind them.
It was a wonder I even made it to Bromley Parkrun this morning but I'm glad | did, my arm hurts buit at least my legs still work.
Bromley results for event #111. Your time was 24:30

Congratulations on completing your 13th parkrun and your 12th at Bromley today. You finished in 103rd place and were the 18th lady out of a field of 245 parkrunners and you came 3rd in your age category SW30-34. 

No comments:

Post a Comment