Saturday 29 October 2011

Jelly legs and skeletons

Not running makes me feel sad. After a visit to the hospital on Tuesday to have a tooth removed I have been feeling sick as a dog for most of the week. After the extraction the dentist said 'no sports for 3 days' I was gobsmacked.... for a tooth, really? this couldn't be right. But sure enough 3 days later and I still felt like I'd been punched in the face and pretty sick most of the time. By Friday I was clawing at the walls to get out if only I could hold down the nausea for long enough. Still, my running fix for these days of enforced rest has been coming in the form of my reading, presently it is the story of Ghost Runner, John Tarrant.
Today is Saturday and I had agreed to go to Bromley Parkrun with my mum today and though this would be as good a test as any to see if I was up to running again... it also coincided with a track training sessions with PWR at Norman Track. My thoughts were I should not just turn up and start running hard at the track so I had to do Bromley Parkrun first as a test really. It was do both or none at all, or potentially just do Parkrun and go home (like I would do that!).
I ran very evenly paced as ever, tried not to push to hard but just focussed on  getting round, feeling comfortable which I did and the time wasn't too bad either. The run today was Halloween themed with lots of pumpkins marking the route and some great costumes as ever - the team at Bromley really do put the effort in! After a drink, some chat and a gingerbread skeleton we made our way over to the track.
Track training led by Mark this week and was tough as ever with the 1km time trial, and various, pyramids and intervals. I thought about dropping out a couple of times as my legs felt like jelly and I worried I may just tumble over at one stage unable to keep going, then before I knew it the session was over and we were being put through our stretches... at one point I think we must have looked like a hippy commune waving our arms and swaying from side to side. Arrived back home feeling good and had a lovely scrambled egg brunch!
Now to rest before tonight's night run!

No comments:

Post a Comment