Sunday 23 October 2011

Villains in the Sun (& some poetry)

Over the hills and far away, 
As Jerry leads us along the North Downs Way!
He can't be stopped with his constant chatter, 
As we follow along... pitter patter!
For me and Duncan, we'd have it no other way, because with Jerry we will stay!


I was mildly surprised this morning as I turned into Willet Rec at 7am to meet Jerry and Duncan to find Jerry a little less than his usual enthusiastic self. I on the other hand was bouncing off the walls firstly at being on time and secondly the prospect of getting out to run in the countryside.
We departed an drove in convoy to Shoreham where we parked up and headed out towards the North Downs Way. Passed through a farm and along well trodden paths we stopped intermittently to look at the solar system, reaching Otford we detoured into a sports field to look at the Sun (and the rest of the Solar system). Staring directly into the sun as you are not meant to do we took a photo which strangely reminded me of Superman 2 where the villains are trapped in a prism and floating in space - are me, Jerry and Duncan super villains encapsulated in the Otford sun?
Before long we were heading up the long slog just past the train station - our only option was to walk here as it is so steep. On the next gate was a sign - Beware Bull in Field - which immediately struck fear to the core of me, which soon dissipated as there was no field in sight and merely some badger tracks (maybe).
Onwards and upwards the next major viewpoint took us to a cross on the hill where we could overlook the valley. Jerry was hugely and quite rightly pleased with himself for having us arrive here at precisely 5 miles on his Garmin, perfect route planning!
5 miles - perfect planning
We returned mostly on the same route out although on route stopped by another runner who introduced himself as a lone ultra runner, at which Jerry perked up and declared "me too" which was perhaps somewhat unbelievable as he had emerged onto the road with myself and Duncan on his heels!
We strolled back towards the field containing bull, further along the road as they compared races and found they were both going to be at a race together soon. We left this runner knowing the best way to locate Jerry is by his shorts!
This time around the bull was in the field and right by the gate, slightly nerving for me as there were also young calves in the field. About halfway across Duncan put on a burst of speed and shouted, "run the Bull's coming!" Fearful and with my heart in my throat I turned to see the bull was still happily grazing at the other side of the field. 
Some miles more and we reached our start point, where we stretched, ate bananas and drank nesquick before me and Duncan headed back and Jerry set off for round 2.
As always a fantastic and pressure free way to spend a Sunday morning, a vague distance in mind, lots of random local facts and good company. I look forward to the next one already - which as Jerry would agree will be in the future!



1 comment:

  1. Nice post Liz, it was a great run. Sorry about the bull gag, I felt bad!

    ReplyDelete