Sunday 11 September 2011

Outrunning outlaws!

So I have been training hard for the last 12 weeks and today it arrived, the day we have all been waiting for, the Nottingham Robin Hood half Marathon and hopefully my latest personal best time....
Feeling good in the morning I ate my standard race day oat-so-simple before getting ready. Being so close to the start we left just after 9am for the 10am start... we managed to bump into a few familiar faces on our way to the start then took our place in the start corrals. 
For the first 5 miles or so I felt good, my speed was up, despite the course being hillier than I remembered I managed to tackle them all steadily and with a good pace but as the day warmed up I just started to slow down, my average pace increased about 10seconds per mile and I knew that the elusive sub 1:50 was slipping out of reach. But as a good runner my back up plan was to get a PB, which meant anything under 1hour 55 so I readjusted my expectations and pushed on towards my new goal. As I rounded the corner after 11 miles the wind was blowing directly in my face and slowing me down I thought that might be the end and that I would make it for a pb time. I kept pushing and pushing and the finish line was in sight my garmin read 1:54... it could go to 1:55 any second so I put everything I had to getting across that line, I did it 1hour 54mins 40seconds... the fastest half marathon time and 10 minutes quicker than when I first ran this race two years ago... over the moon!
My good friend also got a new pb and strangely beat her previous course time by about 10 minutes, it's just fantastic to see how far we have both come in the last two years. We headed back to her house for roast chicken before I hit the road home again. 
When I peeled off my socks I was shocked to see the state of my 2nd toe, it has become more and more swollen throughout the day and | suspect I may lose my first whole toenail to running. Now its serious!

No comments:

Post a Comment