Sunday 18 September 2011

Running the Petts Wood 10k Race Route

We are closing in on the infamous Petts Wood 10k race with only 3 weeks away so it was time to run the route, every year the club members and marshalls are invited to run the route so we know what all the racers are in for and make sure its all safe for the big day.
We broke into three groups based on Tuesday night sessions, me running with Group 3/4 at supposedly a Group 3 pace. Alas that was not to be, with Phil as our leader who naturally slipped into a faster pace leaving me trailing behind after a big roast dinner last night followed by lots of lovely home-made tiramisu! Johnny Gill kept with me chatting at the back and using me as his own personal pack horse as he got too hot in his layers and I tied them to my running belt!
The miles felt too fast and hard yet seemed to pass slowly and we got back to the rec with my garmin reading 5 miles but on asking Phil where we went wrong he showed me his watch and it was spot on 10k..... hmmm then I remembered a funny thing on my watch saying I was running out of memory which I ignored....hmmm best not do that again! (Note to self - clear the memory on my garmin before I run again!)


p.s. for anyone reading this blog who is not a member of PWR and wants to enter the race it is a sell out every year so get online and enter now, its a great medal, we have lots of friendly marshalls and even a gorilla giving out banana's! There is also a kids race this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment